Apolitical Deconstruction

The title of this blog refers to my journey of self-transformation from someone loathe to publicly express his personal opinions on political matters to...well, keep reading and see!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Samuel Anthony Alito Jr.

The following is a letter that I wrote last week to my U.S. Senators regarding the nomination of Samuel Alito to the U.S. Supreme Court. For some biographical information on Judge Alito, please refer to this Wikipedia link.

Dear Senator,

I am writing to express my concern regarding the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to the U.S. Supreme Court. I believe strongly that his views on privacy rights are well outside the mainstream of American public opinion and established law. I am very concerned that a minority group of religious fundamentalists are driving the choice of judicial nominations by the White House. The U.S. Supreme Court is the final arbiter of the rights and freedoms that all Americans hold dear, not just a minority that is bent on subjecting all others to its particular interpretation of moral rectitude. In my opinion, America needs Supreme Court Justices that will exercise reasoned moderation, as Justice Sandra Day O'Connor has so expertly demonstrated during her years of service to our country. Therefore, it is my belief that Judge Alito should not be elevated to the position of Associate Supreme Court Justice.

Thank you for your attention to my concerns.

Sincerely,

8 Comments:

Blogger jarvenpa said...

Yep, I agree. But it looks dismally like the guy will be in, unless some Republicans break ranks. Just spotted your new blog. This should be interesting, David.

1/26/2006 12:30 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Jarvenpa,

Congratulations on being the first visitor to my new blog! I was wondering who would spot it first. :) I agree with you, it looks like Alito will be confirmed. :((

1/26/2006 12:47 AM  
Blogger jarvenpa said...

hello again, david--Kerry has said he will lead a fillibuster. If you go to the After Downing Street Memo site (I link to it at the edge of my outside the windows blog) there is a call for phone calls to senators asking that they support this. Kind of last ditch attempt...

1/26/2006 7:10 PM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks Jarvenpa, I will look into this. One of Indiana's Senators is a Democrat: Evan Bayh. I'll send him a quick email, but I'm not sure he will support a fillibuster. Indiana is a very conservative state, although it is not completely "red".

1/27/2006 1:19 AM  
Blogger jarvenpa said...

Evan Bayh (D- IN), 202-224-5623

He hasn't declared yet, one way or the other. Maybe some calls would help. This is very last ditch. One of my senators (Boxer) is supporting the filibuster; the other (Feinstein) is on the fence.
One line to use with senators who have said they will vote no on Alito but are not up for filibuster is that without the filibuster the no vote is pretty useless.
Oh, dear god, such interesting times.

1/28/2006 2:08 AM  
Blogger jarvenpa said...

I believe your senator did vote against cloture today. Watched on Cspan. Both the California senators voted against as well..
but, alas, to no avail.
well, onward.

1/31/2006 2:00 AM  
Blogger David said...

Yes, Senator Bayh did vote no, as a good little Democratic Presidential candidate should have. :) Actually, he is a pretty impressive man. He was a two term governor of Indiana before he became a senator. I heard that there were 40 votes against confirmation today. I wonder why there were only 25 no votes yesterday? Puzzling! As you said, onward we go, but to where, I wonder? I think its time for my next letter! :)

1/31/2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hi Melantrys,

You are only the second person to discover my new blog. Thats not so bad! :)

Well, that has probably been true for quite a while now. I want to know where are the intelligent moderate candidates and voters that will return some sanity and civility to American politics!? It seems like there are too few of either these days.

2/05/2006 3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home