Apolitical Deconstruction

The title of this blog refers to my journey of self-transformation from someone loathe to publicly express his personal opinions on political matters to...well, keep reading and see!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Securing U.S. Ports

Yesterday, I sent the following letter to my U.S. Senators concerning the upcoming takeover of U.S. port facilities by Dubai Ports World, a company owned by the government of the United Arab Emirates. This CNN article from last week, although a bit dated with respect to the very fluid political dynamics of this story, gives a good background to the events and issues involved. The story continues to evolve, and the D.P. World deal may yet be undone, however, I remain of the opinion that the security of U.S. ports is not contingent on the nationality of the port management company. Certainly, D.P. World must be properly screened and vetted, but port security will remain the province and responsibility of the U.S. government.

Dear Senator,

I have been closely following the news of the pending Dubai Ports World port management takeover deal. I am pleased that the company has agreed to a second and more thorough 45 day investigation. Although I would prefer that U.S. ports be managed by American owned companies, I think that Dubai Ports World should be given the opportunity to do so, provided that the company can fully address and comply with U.S. national security concerns.

Actually, I am far more concerned that the U.S. Coast Guard has requested $5.4 billion to fully fund its port security responsibilities, but thus far, the Bush administration has sought funding for only one tenth of that amount. I would like to request that you please work to ensure that the U.S. Coast Guard is provided with the full funding required to ensure that it can fulfill its responsibilities to secure our ports.

Thank you for your attention to my concerns.

Sincerely,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr O2 said...

Guess your senator will soon be sending assassins to deal with ya David ;-) You read,know & care too much :-)

3/02/2006 1:49 AM  
Blogger David said...

I thought I saw a Ninja stalking me yesterday. ;)

Well, someone said "ignorance is bliss", but I never was very good at taking advice. :)

3/02/2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger David said...

Melantrys, I'm sure that my Senators are just quaking in anticipation of my next letter! :) Actually, I'm not sure they ever even see my letters. Some staff assistant probably just notes my position on whatever issue I am complaining about and makes a tick mark in the appropriate column, followed by a form letter to my address.

3/04/2006 3:24 AM  
Blogger jarvenpa said...

So, update us, David. Is all well?
In my experience, yes, at first they will just kind of automatically list your letter's position (or what they think it is), but if you keep it up, they will remember your name. And then you make personal visits, or show up at places your reps are speaking...and they WILL remember you.
And maybe pay attention to what you think and say.

3/29/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hello a dracul,
Well, you certainly had a lot to say and you did say it politely, but I am curious, do you have any thoughts about my post? It is my understanding that Dubai Ports World is buying (or has bought) a British company: Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation. Are people in England upset about Dubai controlling some of their ports? One more thing. You mentioned a Ms. Wright who lost her legs in the Tube Bombing. Why would you say that no one will ever marry her? Are intact legs really so important to love?

4/28/2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger David said...

CpnJack, I found some of the language and content of your comment to be quite inappropriate. Blogger does not allow the editing of comments, so I had no choice but to delete what you wrote. If you would like to comment in the future, please be polite and try to focus your thoughts on the content of the post. Thanks.

5/10/2006 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home