Apolitical Deconstruction

The title of this blog refers to my journey of self-transformation from someone loathe to publicly express his personal opinions on political matters to...well, keep reading and see!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Iranian Women's Rights Demonstration

I have sent the following letter to my U.S. Senators. I have also contacted the CNN News Tip's Web Site regarding this story and sent them the links listed below. I urge my readers to also contact CNN or your preferred media outlet. I think it is very important that this story receive as much international news coverage as possible.

Dear Senator,

Yesterday, June 12, 2006, there was a peaceful demonstration in Tehran, Iran by women who are seeking greater freedoms, equal rights, and equal protections under the law. This demonstration was brutally repressed by the Iranian police and many women were beaten and arrested. I believe that non-violent resistance by Iranians in Iran is the best way to bring about positive changes in Iran's government. Could you please do whatever you can to help support and promote groups within Iran who are seeking change through non-violent resistance? Also, could you please contact the Iranian government and urge them to release the arrested demonstrators? Thank you very much for your help and consideration!

Here are links to two excellent blog posts by two of Iran's most famous bloggers that describe the June 12 event. Please have a look at the excellent pictures of the demonstration and its repression in the posts:

http://www.ladysun.net/archives/000094.html

http://www.kosoof.com/archive/2006/Jun/12/425.php

Sincerely,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you iranian David???...It's important for me...:)I try to know some iranian blogger and your two blog are very interesting!...

If you want answer me to lmn.cat@virgilio.it

Bye and...congratulations of course!:)

6/18/2006 5:35 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hello Cate,
First, thanks for visiting my blogs! :) I am not Iranian, but many of my blog friends are. If you would like to meet some Iranian bloggers just check the links section of my Constructive Creativity blog. Some of my friends are Iranian, some are Iraqi, and there are a few others as well. :)

6/19/2006 11:08 PM  
Blogger David said...

Cate, on second thought, some of my links are no longer active (I really need to update them!). I have a better idea for you. Check out the blog of my friend Dr O2. He lives in Iran, and most of his blog visitors are Iranian. His blog is fun and quite popular!

6/19/2006 11:16 PM  
Blogger rubarzan said...

I don't think iranian women are asking for a greater freedom. They are just asking for a bit of freedom, and that's all. If they ever dare to ask for FREEDOM, then those dog style police women riot forces will shoot them straight. It is touching to see people who care for those that don't have anything in common with except : Humanity.

7/04/2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger David said...

Hello Rubarzan, thanks for visiting! We are all humans on this planet. I think that all of our differences are really very small next to that simple fact.

I know that Iranian women actually have much more freedom than Saudi women, for example. Women living under the Taleban, had it even worse! But, I have long been a believer in equal rights for women. I hope all women in this world will achieve that some day!

7/06/2006 3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thought you might be interested in this article about Iran:

http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/home/Frontpage/2006/07/24/01213.html

7/25/2006 11:26 AM  
Blogger David said...

Hello Anon,

I read the article and it was interesting. I have been blogging with Iranians for the past few years, so I am fairly well acquainted with the sophistication of Tehran. Iran is indeed a country of diversity and contradiction!

7/29/2006 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suffer for these women, and as ist was siad before our common thread, the weave of humanity. ANd yet a Canadian-Iranian photojournalist was brutally raped, beaten and murdred at Evin. Baha'i woen tortured acused of apstasy, (the current charging mode is "espionage" and hung without benefit of trial or even lawyers. Baha'is suffer brutality on a daily basis. If only everyone who feels opression would unite.

3/20/2009 2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When reading Olya's Story, you will find the account of how when a Baha'i would be murdred, they would go to the home of the spouse and present her with a bill for the bullet. Read Prisoner in Tehran, for more accounts of how men and women are tortured,raped and killed for their beliefs. Write your congressmen and senators to protest Iran's state-sponsored persecutionof Baha'is. Please.

3/20/2009 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home